My end of year top 10 tech predictions for 2020
curated from a number of sources including IDC, Gartner, Techradar, Forrester etc
1. Digital transformation - By 2023, over 50% of all ICT spending will be directly for digital transformation and innovation (up from 27% in 2018)
2. Cloud: By 2022, 70% of enterprises will integrate cloud management — across their public and private clouds — by deploying unified hybrid/multi-cloud management technologies, tools and processes.
3. Edge Computing – The new buzzword. By 2023, over 50% of new enterprise IT infrastructure deployed will be at the edge rather than corporate data-centers, up from less than 10% today; by 2024, the number of apps at the edge will increase 800%. IOT is driving home AI devices and this is set to become a normal device for 50% of home in 2020.
4. Apps - By 2023, over 500 million digital apps and services will be developed and deployed using cloud-native approaches, most of those targeted at industry specific digital transformation use cases.
5. AI- By 2025, at least 90% of new enterprise apps will embed AI; by 2024, over 50% of user interface interactions will use AI-enabled computer vision, speech, natural language processing, AR/VR and AFR.
6. Trust- By 2023, 50% of the G2000 will name a Chief Trust Officer, who orchestrates trust across functions including security, finance, HR, risk, sales, production and legal.
7. All enterprises generate income from digital (average 20%) By 2023, 60% of the G2000 will have a digital developer ecosystem with thousands of developers; half of those enterprises will drive 20%+ of digital revenue through their digital ecosystem/platform.
8. OEM – digital - By 2025, 20% of revenue growth will be from "white space" offerings that combine digital services from previously unlinked industries, and one-fifth of partners are from previously unlinked industries.
9. Big data gets bigger: By 2023, the top public cloud mega-platforms (Amazon, Ebay, Alphabet, Facebook, Intel, Oracle, Microsoft, SAP, Apple, Huawei, Alibaba, Tencent, IBM )etc will consolidate at least 75% of market share; the Top 10 pure play SaaS vendors will generate an average of near 20% revenue from expanding PaaS services.
10. Blockchain technology: By 2023, up to 30% of the world’s news and video content will be deemed authentic by blockchain, in an effort to counter deep fake technology. By 2025 50% of all smartphone users will have a second bank account running on a block-chain and using an ‘alternative’ store of value. This tech will be led by new innovation from existing digital brands such as Paypal, Facebook. Africa and countries where bank account penetration is low grow fastest.